different blogging tools useful. The top free blog platforms are Tumblr, WordPress
and Blogger. Here are their advantages and disadvantages.
- Tumblr is very user friendly; with no coding
experience needed. Simply add content and click button to upload.
- Tumblr gives its users the option to
incorporate Google analytics so they can track the effectiveness of their posts
and visitor numbers.
Tumblr allows users to optimise posts for SEO
purposes through the use of keywords and automatically indexes them with Google
- Tumblr is mostly used for sharing images and video.
- Tumblr is known to have stability issues,
resulting in a lot of downtime.
- Tumblr posts are difficult to optimize for
Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Versatile, can be used as a simple blog or
for a more complex e-commerce store.
- Free to use.
- WordPress has been in use for a long time and has few stability issues.
- There are many free plug-ins available, improving
functionality of your WordPress blog.
- Easy to customise the appearance due to wide range
of themes and design styles available.
- WordPress can be quite complex to use, making it
difficult for those without coding experience to take advantage of all of its
- To gain the full benefits of a WordPress blog,
users ideally need to use their own domain name and host the blog on their own
server, incurring extra costs.
- Free to use.
- Easy to generate revenue from plug ins
such as Google Adsense.
- User friendly. Easy to create and share content.
- Very few, if any, stability issues.
- Difficult to set up on your own domain name.
- Not many themes or design styles available.
- Limited plug-ins, apart from Google specific