What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/ is an online network for connecting professionals. The idea is to build your own network of connections through your contacts and their contacts.
How do I join?
It’s free to join. To get started you will need to register by entering your name, company, industry type, education and dates attended into a form. LinkedIn then details all the people who work at the same company as you. LinkedIn allows searching by name, company name or school attended.
You can change your account settings to include details about your professional experience.
Uses for LinkedIn are:
- Promoting your expertise and making contacts
- Finding previous colleagues / connections
- Researching people
- Recommending people
- Browsing other people’s connections (as long as they have allowed this in their preferences)
- Promoting your website or blog
- Searching for people by profession and location